Friday, May 2, 2014

A GARDEN ON MY KITCHEN COUNTER



I had difficulty knowing what title this blog should have…SIMPLE MINDS ARE ENTERTAINED WITH SIMPLE THINGS?…..WHEN I SEE THE LITTLE LILY PUSHING UP THE HEAVY SOD????…..A SURPRISE ENCOUNTER????…..WELL, I NEVER!?????…..  Anyway here is my story.  Several days ago I bought a container of tomatoes from Costco.  According to the experts? you should not refrigerate but leave them on the counter in order to keep them tasting like tomatoes.  So for a few days I would occasionally cut one for us to eat.  Then one day when I sliced the tomato I noticed a dark spot in the center of the tomato.  After examining it closer I discovered a seed had sprouted.  The tomato was still very firm.  I have had onions that sprouted and potatoes that sprouted, but never a tomato.  Soooo I began to watch the remaining ones, still in the plastic container.  I noticed a few bulges on the outside of the tomatoes.


Now isn't that interesting!  Will the plants pop right through the skin?  So I continue to watch the still firm tomatoes.    Then yesterday I began to notice spots on the outside that looked like the tomato was getting soft so I decided to cut into the tomato and lo and behold…….I DISCOVER A GARDEN GROWING ON MY KITCHEN COUNTER.  So I have placed the tomatoes in a flower pot, wondering if the plants will continue to grow.  The soil is still too cold so I put them in  the house.  Stay tuned for further updates.


1 comment: