Sunday, March 29, 2009

What goes around, comes around!

Be careful how you react to the older folk in your family or circle of friends!    I am finding myself reliving many of the things that I thought was ridiculous and avoidable.  My own mother passed away when she was 66  years old so many of the things I experienced with my mother-in-law (who was 89 when she passed away)  were not things I saw in my mother.  I can remember being annoyed when Grandma told me the same things over and over and I had to come up with a new reaction to her story each time.  That's hard.  Now Wayford and I are doing the same thing.

 Then, I couldn't understand why she had so much problem getting her hands to do what she wanted them to do.  Tomorrow I have to have surgery on one of my fingers because I can't get it to do what I want it to do.  Even that surgery won't correct the arthritis that I have in my hands.

One year Wayford and I stayed with Grandma a couple of weeks and did a thorough cleaning of her house.  We would pick up an item and see all the dust and think "Oh, my, look at all the dust that has collected."  Last week, when the sun was shining, revealing all the dust bunnies in my bedroom, I could not believe how I had let all that dust pile up!  Even behind the pictures on the wall there were piles of dust.  

And then there's the balance thing.  As I age I notice that all is well until something throws me a bit off balance, and then whoa!! I better have something to grab onto.

Oh, and Grandma would buy a pair of shoes and they wouldn't fit right.  Guess who is now having to have really expensive shoes because of problems with her feet???

And, then there is that little problem called shhhhh "flatulence" !  I've smiled a bit at older folk when that problem just happened!!!!  Now I know it is sooooo unavoidable!  I should have been more understanding.  

Be careful what you think of us older folk because "what goes around, comes around"!

3 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

I must say that if when I am your age, young people think of me the same way that Evan and I think of you and Wayford, I will be content. Those "things" might be starting to happen to you now but that doesn't change the fact that you live a life that is a wonderful example to all of us young folk.

Wilma said...

That is sooo sweet. Thanks so much.

Unknown said...

Please tell me that all started happening when you were about 53. Otherwise, I shudder to think where this is all going!